Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Procrastination Does Not Work for Ty

When prospective college students think of college, most envision studying all the time while having no time for a social life. While this is not the case most of the time, it seems to be the case this week—for me, at least. My assignments have been piling up on top of one another, but it isn’t because the teachers try and mess with students’ mental health; it’s because I tend to procrastinate. A lot.

This week, the assignments I have to finish consist of a diverse group of subjects: a calculus III exam, a visual analysis for Comp. II, a paper over my health for Wellness, a project of all the labs I’ve done since school began after spring break (which is also for Wellness), and a blog for Student Leadership. I could have finished most of these assignments days ago; instead, I would watch a movie with friends or sleep. Now my whole “I can do it later” attitude has come back to bite me in the butt.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a firm believer in procrastination, but when taken too far, it can turn ugly. Procrastination is like a loan: in the beginning, the loan is awesome and helps you do stuff you wouldn’t have been able to do, but in the end, you have to pay a percent of interest, and it’s not as fun. In the case with procrastination, the interest is the stressful conditions in which you will work in: having to finish a homework assignment with a box of tissue beside you since you’re crying so much because you have no idea what you’re doing and you can’t ask the professor for help because it’s 10:58 p.m. and the assignment is due at 12:00 a.m. on D2L, or getting a ‘C’ on an exam because you decided to wait until the day of the exam to study.

Now that I’ve made you terrified of procrastination, I’ll leave you with a few words: if you’re going to procrastinate, only do so twice a week…maybe three.

No comments:

Post a Comment